Saturday, May 25, 2013

Yosemite Backpacking - Chilnualna Falls

With less than three weeks till we start the Appalachian Trail we need a hike to check out our gear. So I'm taking the kids on a two night trip to Yosemite. The plan is to spend the first night around the falls and the second night near Grouse Lake.

The trail should be snow free, but the nights could still be cold so we packed extra layers for warmth. But we won't need the extra clothing for summer AT hiking so our packs will be a bit lighter. Total my pack weighs more than 50 lbs, and the kids are around 14 lbs. I also brought really good food that added about 20 lbs to my pack. The food will go fast so the change in weight I carry will change quickly over a few days.

It might rain, but we are fully prepared and I hope we get some rain so we can test our rain system. The car is packed and my alarm is set. I'll attempt to report on the trip each day, but cell phone coverage is very limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment