Thursday, June 10, 2010

Feeling Like a Runner

My birthday is coming up and my wife got me a Road ID.  She thought it would be a good idea to wear it on my backpacking trip along the Superior Hiking Trail (post here), so I got an early present.  I couldn't help but look at it as I hiked thinking that I must be a real runner now.  I have the shoes, shirts, shorts, gels, a race, and now the Road ID.  But it gets better. 


Since the weather is heating up I needed a way to carry water on runs.  I don't want to take a gel on every run, but need something to keep me going.  I did some blog searches to see what others are saying and settled on a Fuel Belt (the Helium 2-bottle belt).  I bought it from Great Race Nutrition* for $34 ($42 from the Fuel Belt website).  And free shipping since I bought some Hammer Gels and Recoverite. 
     * Overall Great Race has good prices and free shipping offers.

I have to say the Helium Fuel Belt works.  I ran 5 miles and it was a little odd at first, but I quickly got used to having it on.  I took sips every few miles, but the big bonus was my 4 yr old sons (on bikes) could also get a drink.  I never felt like I needed a gel, and the boys were much faster at miles 3, 4, and 5 than usual. 




1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark,
    I have the same belt but mine has four bottles. My kids and hubby all think that I look like a dork when I leave the house wearing it:) I know I do.....but I don't care! It serves a purpose and with the hot and humid weather we have been having it is a must:)

    ReplyDelete