Sunday, September 5, 2010

18 Miles

Today I did the longest run in my life - 18 Miles!  I ran on the Gateway Trail and saw a few others out on long runs.  It was a great day with cool temperatures and a good mix of sun/shade.  I felt surprisingly good, averaging 9:11 a mile. 

This Saturday I'll be doing 20 miles at Get Ready to Rock.  The race will have pacers, so I think I might go with the 9 min group (3 hours total for 20 miles).  This may be a stretch, but if I do some run/walk after mile 10 I should be OK.  The big problem today was range of motion.  After 2+ hours of the same running technique my legs felt stiff and my already short stride got shorter.  I did some walking and stopped to refill my water bottles and after each I felt much better. 

2 comments:

  1. I've had the same issue doing long runs on the Luce Line. Without hills to engage different muscles, I get fatigued. I'm sure you will find plenty of hills on your 20 miler. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the long run, Mark! You'll be ready for a marathon sooner than you think.

    Tom P

    ReplyDelete