Wednesday, March 10, 2010

March 9; Swimming better; Core Performance

I watched some TI swimming videos on YouTube; one was on the catch. Fingers pointing down and catch the water before you pull. Focusing on my catch gave 100 yd times of 1:10 and 1:08. Considering I still don’t have a fast turnover I’m pleased with the results.  Still working on the rest of the TI stroke.

I think turnover and a more efficient stoke will be helped with “Core Performance: The Revolutionary Workout Program to Transform your Body and your Life” by Mark Verstegen. I could do without the “transform your life” parts of the book. I guess they need filler space to bulk up the number of pages. The rest is really great. The suggested workout is 6 days of 40 min workouts.

I started the first section of Core Performance: Movement Prep. It works. My left knee has been an issue, but doing these movements (squats, stretching, twists) relieved some of the tension.

Monday – 1 hr yoga (Finally back to 1 hour!)

Tuesday
Movement Prep, x8 each
Abs 1 with 3 lb. weight at home
Bike 10 min at level 10
ChiRunning Looseners
Treadmill
- 3.5 miles; 30 min run at 6.5mph, 5 min walk, 1.5% grade
- Knee feeling better
- Lean feeling better
- Skipped weights to do swimming
Swimming
6x150 (swim, kick, swim, kick, swim, kick)
10x100 on 2:00
   1-5 descend (actual 1:20, 1:20, 1:15, 1:10, 1:08)
   6-10 at 1:15 pace (did 1:14 to 1:16)
5x100 kick; hard on 2:00
100 easy
2,500 total

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mark,
    You are doing a nice job with your swim training. I look at what your daily workouts consist of and I feel like I am not doing enough:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes me a minute to swim 50 yards, and you go 100 yards. Crazy! It's awesome that you are so fast and are still interested in improving. It's inspiring!

    ReplyDelete